HOME EDUCATION PROGRAMS
Per PA Department of Education requirements, a parent/guardian must submit the following for their child to participate in a Home Education program:
- A Notarized affidavit or unsworn declaration. The PA Department of Education sample affidavits or unsworn declarations can be used:
- Affidavit - Elementary Sample (grades K-6) (Word)
- Affidavit - Secondary Sample (grades 7-12) (Word)
- Affidavit - Elementary Unsworn Declaration (Word)
- Affidavit - Secondary Unsworn Declaration (Word)
- Education objectives for the year (see above links for more information).
- Evidence of immunizations or a letter stating medical or religious exemption (see above links for more information).
- Evidence of Health and Medical Services for the appropriate grade level or a letter stating religious exemption. (see above links for more information).
These items can be emailed to Assistant Superintendent Trevor Murnock at email@example.com.
HOME EDUCATION EVALUATORS
The law requires that each home education student be interviewed and their portfolio reviewed by a qualified home education evaluator at the end each school year. The evaluator’s written certification that an appropriate education is occurring must be submitted by the home education supervisor to the Superintendent (or designee) of the student’s district of residence by June 30 of each school year.
The designee for MTSD is Assistant Superintendent Trevor Murnock.
Qualifications for an Evaluator:
- Licensed clinical psychologist
- School psychologist
- Pennsylvania certified teacher with two years grading experience at the level they evaluate (K-6 or 7-12)
- Nonpublic school teacher or administrator with two years PA teaching experience within the last 10 years at the level they evaluate (K-6 or 7-12)
For more information on Home Education programs, please visit the PA Department of Education’s web page:
Linda R. Misja
Elementary K-5 & Secondary
Janel E. Cook
Rose Ann Gutting
Lindsay A. Kennedy