Dr. Gertrude A. Barber Center
MTSD partners with the Dr. Gertrude A. Barber Center to provide critical supports to our students in a number of different ways.
- Elizabeth Lee Black School: The Barber Center operates an approved private school that specializes in meeting the needs of students with autism and intellectual disabilities. MTSD is able to utilize the approved private school as an educational opportunity for learners who need more supports and services which are available at this highly specialized school.
- Acute Partial Hospitalization: When a short term (day) hospitalization is recommended by a physician, the Barber Center Acute program may be accessed by district students as a support to ongoing mental health and/or behavioral challenges.
MTSD has an ongoing partnership with UPMC Hamot, Erie County, the Office of Vocational and Rehabilitation Services, and St. Michaels’ Harbor to provide an immersive work place program for graduation ready students who meet eligibility requirements. To date, 95% of the students attending this program have been offered employment upon graduation.
Sarah Reed Children’s Center
MTSD partners with Sarah Reed Children’s Center to provide critical supports to our students in a number of different ways.
- Ridgefield School: Millcreek Township School District teachers, educational assistants, and administrators partner with Sarah Reed behavior support staff and teachers to provide a full time special education program at Ridgefield School for students in need of emotional and behavioral supports.
- School based mental health and student assistance: MTSD contracts with Sarah Reed to provide counselors at all Millcreek school buildings. The Sarah Reed counselors support the student assistance programs at each building and work collaboratively with school staff to provide ongoing mental health supports to students on an individual and group basis.
- Psychiatric Consultation: MTSD benefits from ongoing/as needed case consultation by a child psychiatrist employed by Sarah Reed.
- Partial and Acute Partial Hospitalization: Sometimes physicians prescribe a short term (acute) or a long term (partial) clinical setting for students in need of mental health and behavioral supports. Both programs are located at Hamilton School. When MTSD students require these supports, Sarah Reed collaborates with us to meet the needs of our students.
- Outpatient Counseling: Sarah Reed provides opportunities for MTSD students to receive outpatient counseling at their home school if that is recommended and parents are in agreement. This is available at every school building.